I don’t have is a bucket list – for some reason it has never appealed to me. However I have always had a vague list of stuff that I would like learn how to do. I love learning about new things. I get overly excited, I Google it extensively, I watch tutorial after tutorial on You Tube, I buy books and read everything possible about it, I might even attend a course or two and eventually I will attempt it.
I love the challenge of learning something new, pushing my boundaries and trying stuff that I have never tried before. The problem is that as soon as I have figured out how to do it (not even mastered it, just how to do it) I get bored and move onto the next project. Sometimes I will go back to that project because I really enjoyed it, or I found out more about it and realised I only just scratched the surface with my abilities and then I will get all excited about it again.
My problem though is that my list of things I would like to learn about it is endless, varied and I forget about the one as soon as I have thought of something new. So ci decided to write them all down …. Here are just a few that I can think of at the moment:
- I want to learn how to do quick sketches on location (and make it look like the people are people and not monkeys) – STARTED - WORKSHOP BOOKED, BOOKS ORDERED, GOOGLED EXTENSIVELY – See other blog An Ordinary Life – Sketched
- I want to learn how to take a decent photograph
- I want to learn how to paint a decent portrait (properly) – STARTED – SIGNED UP FOR THE DIARY OF FACES ONLINE WORKSHOP – PART ONE with Sharon Tomlinson
- I want to learn how to work with chocolate
- I want to learn how to make fondant (sugar paste) figures decently
- I want to learn how to design a website
- I want to learn how to use my Silhouette machine properly
- I want to learn how to illustrate a children’s book (I will even settle for drawing a decent greeting card)
- I want to learn how to use a photo editing program with a little bit of skill
- I want to learn how to use a graphic design program
- I want to learn how to make money out of property
- I want to learn how to retire rich (don’t we all)
- I want to learn about trading on the stock exchange
- I want to learn about permaculture
- I want to learn how to reupholster furniture
- I want to learn how to write more creatively
- I want to learn why my tomatoes keep dying
- I want to learn about SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- I want to learn how to bake a Black Forest Gateau
- I want to learn how to swim more efficiently – for long distance open water swimming
- I want to learn how to hand bind a book
- I want to learn how to do Lino Block Printing
As you can see my list is extensive and varied….. Although you will note there is nothing musical on there. Even I know my limits. I am totally tone deaf!!!
I have decided that instead of just having a vague idea of things I would like to learn and randomly doing some as I come across them I am going to try and work my way through my list. I am not saying I am going to try and learn them all. Some I might scratch off the list all together. I am also not giving myself a time limit. Who knows, I might find one on the list that I absolutely adore doing and get stuck on it for ages. Then again I might try and do two at once.
There are also some obvious constraints – obviously money is a huge one (if you offer courses in PE or online and want to donate a space to me in any of the above I will gladly accept – just saying…..). Time is the other biggie – I have a full time job and a 3 year old. Space is another – the garage is my husband’s domain (or he so he likes to believe) I can’t really just take over the entire house and garage with my stuff. I have already taken over about 95% of all available storage spaces (including the garage) with my hobbies (yes, I have a few).
So, with this in mind I have asked to attend a Pen and Wash workshop held by Talbot Cox for my Birthday, it is all about sketching on location and using your sketchbook as you go. It sounds exactly what I am after at the moment. The course is in a couple of months and I am very excited. HERE are details on the workshop if you are interest.
What would you really like to learn how to do, or like me do you have a list?
Filed under: Art, Courses and Workshops, Family, My sketchbook, Ordinarylife, Paintings, Sketches | Tagged: Life, Ordinarylife | 11 Comments »